Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Post Christmas 2009

The Christmas Holiday has come and gone, and we are living in 2010. Tampa is having lower temps than normal, as is the rest of the Eastern Seaboard. Our 30 feels like their 5 because the homes here are not insulated for low temps: result is that the inside never gets over 65 no matter how much the heat pumps pump. I don't know what other people wear, but I wear long johns, multiple layers, two pairs of socks, and sit under a blanket in the living room.

My baby boy has just moved from his large apartment in Astoria, Queens, to a teeny one bedroom in Manhattan, in Hell's Kitchen. He and his sweetheart are so excited to have a place together, and all lights are green, for them. Living in Manhattan is such fun because everything you need is within a block or two, and you can shop all through the night, and even have things delivered anytime. If you go somewhere, you can, usually, walk, but, if it is cold or rainy, or you need to get there fast, you can take a cab, and for five dollars, be there in a moment. If you have a distance to go, there are buses and subways, so it is a very convenient, and fun, place to live. I am so happy that they are able to live this life.

I just returned from ten days in Indianapolis: the snow was beautiful, my daughter's home is a big, white historic place with pillars in front, six bathrooms, three fireplaces and lots of room to grow--and redecorate. My younger daughter met me there, and we enjoyed some "girl time" while, also, welcoming a new puppy. Indianapolis is a very sad place, as there is high unemployment, but we can all hope for something to replace the loss of jobs from the discontinuation of the automobile industry, and most factory jobs--they went overseas. So people in third world countries are, finally, able to provide for their families, while Americans mourn the loss of manufacturing.

This is boring me--but better days are ahead. I really believe that.

No comments: