Thursday, January 15, 2009

Eating a large Rib-eye

Yes, I really am doing just that, while blogging and watching a PBS program about the Tennessee Valley Authority.  Apparently, before the dams were  built, the area flooded out every year, and the flooding killed the land so that crops did not do very well. One witness from days past said that "we never knew when the Depression hit: we were always in a depression." May 18, 1933 the TVA was approved. 

The project provided jobs to the people, electricity, which they had not had at all (it was said that the people were living 100 years behind the rest of the world--now I am understanding the whole Cleveland thing...), and moved a bunch of them to new digs. They even moved 5,000 graves before the designated area was flooded.

The steak and veggies are gone, by the way--a huge cholesterol bomb for me to try to disperse for the rest of the day. Last comment on TVA:  the "mountain people" really are a bit different.  They talk about how their lives were changed when "the lights went on." Another lady told how she cried because she could, finally, have running water inside the house. 

I am hanging on the fence regarding returning to nursing school: I am realizing that it is going to force me to rush back and forth to Mel's wedding, when I want to be able to relax and play mother-of-of-the-bride, and leave at a leisurely pace on the Monday after. I also realize that I will never be able to do the get-up-early-commute-to-work thing: I am too devoted to my "semi-retired" lifestyle. I also have no stamina, and every time I get even slightly excited, I get a hot flash, with heat rising from my waist to my face, breaking out in a sweat. This is because I had to stop taking estrogen because of female issues.  When I was in nursing school before, I was taking hormones and never ever had such a thing happen, even though, sometimes in the hospital part, I DID break out in a sweat.

So I am feeling like going back to nursing might be a way to seriously complicate an otherwise simple life. The question I keep asking myself is what I will do, once I am finished? I won't want a REAL job, but some sort of part-time POSITION, and I don't think, at age 60, regardless of how old I look, anyone will want me for any such job.

Oh well, it's a choice I have to make very soon. Aside from that, I am still living here with my one girl roommate who is always with her boyfriend, so she has never become any sort of companion for me. I am glad, however, that there is another person in the house with me. I would like to get more roommates, but, so far, respondents to my ad on Craigslist have not been appropriate, and one or two did come by but decided to get a place closer to their work, or just remained where they were. 

Tomorrow I am driving over to Jay's to visit and babysit the  peanuts while he and Amy go to a fundraising thing for the school. Fun for Nana.

No comments: